The Lisboa Cantat Chamber Choir was founded on January 2006 as one of the activities from the Music Association Lisboa Cantat, an association with 40 years of existence which has been developing important initiatives within the portuguese music field. Its repertoire is eclectic, with works from the Baroque to the Contemporary periods. It has 16 members and is conducted by Jorge Carvalho Alves.
Its most relevant works are:
- Opera Workshop from Metropolitana – Don Giovanni (2015), The Marriage of Figaro (2016), La Clemenza di Tito (2017); The Magic Flute (2018)
- Algarve International Music Festival – sacred music repertoire from W. A. Mozart in partnership with the portuguese Southern Classical Orchestra, Loulé (2017)
- Program on “The Golden Age of the Portuguese Polyphony” – Igreja da Graça, Lisbon (2016);
- Program “Celebrating Freedom”, Dias da Música – CCB, Lisbon (2014);
- Tournée with The Messiah (G. F. Händel), Lisbon Metropolitan Orchestra, with the conductor Marcos Magalhães (2013);
- Yearly participation with the Algarve Orchestra on the Masses of W. A. Mozart and J. Haydn;
- “Música em S. Roque” Festival: 2007 (J. S. Bach and G. F. Händel), 2008 (F. Poulenc e E. Carrapatoso) e 2009 (J. R. Esteves, E. Carrapatoso e F. Lopes-Graça);
- Lopes-Graça Composition Awards ceremony, 2nd edition in Tomar (2007);
- Participation on A Casa da Lenha (The Wooden House) (2006), a play about the life of the composer Fernando Lopes-Graça, a co-production from Teatro D. Maria II / Teatro A Comuna;
- The Marriage of Figaro from W. A. Mozart (2006) and The Elixir of Love from G. Donizetti (2008), with the Lisbon Metropolitan Orchestra/Orchestra from Espinho, and The Algarve Orchestra, respectively;
- Participation on the Teatro da Trindade opera productions.
With more than 80 concerts held, it performed all through Portugal: Lisbon (Teatro da Trindade and D. Maria II, Igreja de S. Roque, S. Pedro de Alcântara and Sé Patriarcal, CCB and Teatro Thalia); Oporto (Coliseu), Guimarães, Figueira da Foz, Aveiro, Tomar, Caldas da Rainha, Faro, Olhão, Lagos, Espinho, Montijo, Lagoa, Cartaxo Setúbal and Tavira.
Its discographic productions include:
- A partnership with the Lisboa Cantat Symphonic Choir on the project “Portuguese Composers from the 20th and 21st centuries”, which began on 2007 with the Lisboa Cantat Music Association and is edited in 4 volumes by Numérica and MU Records.
- Participation on the project “Fernando Lopes-Graça – Acapella Choral Work”, also promoted by the same association and edited in 2 volumes by Numérica.
Since its foundation, it has been conducted by Cesário Costa, Henrique Piloto, Laurent Wagner, Nuno Côrte-Real, Clara Coelho, Marcos Magalhães and by its current conductor, Jorge Carvalho Alves.